Can I be honest with you? Before I began my reserach on a holistic lifestyle for our COM graduate course, PR Features Writing for the Web, I lumped all those who embraced a “holistic” lifestyle in a category I’ve always labeled: Hippies. To better illustrate my originally closed point of view, I invite you to watch the short YouTube video clip I found. It pretty much sums up what ran through my mind when I heard “holistic health” for the first time.
Is (was) anyone else with me?
After further investigating this holistic notion, I thought I would help break down the barrier for others who may have originally thought holistic meant tree hugging hippies.
According to the Merriam Webster Dictionary, Holistic simply means to be concerned with the “complete system” as opposed to parts.
Holistic health is the blending of a healthy mind, body and spirit. The idea is, to be healthy one must focus on the physical, emotional, spiritual, social and environmental aspects of their life.
Still not buying into it? Let me ask you a few questions.
- Have you had a massage recently? If not, would you like a massage?
- Have you/ do you participate in a Yoga class?
- Have you invested in a water filtration system such as Brita?
- Have you adopted a vegetarian or vegan diet? Even as simple as Meatless Monday’s?
- Do you take vitamins or supplements to aide your diet?
- Have you done, or would you consider acupuncture?
- Are you interested in ways to sustain your energy throughout the day?
If you were able to answer yes to any of the questions above (if you try to tell me no, I’ll know you were lying because who doesn’t want a massage?), then you are already on your way to accepting a more holistic lifestyle.
Keep checking back here over the next few weeks to to take the journey with our group as we learn, discover and try to develop a more holistic lifestyle. If you’re already hooked, check out this short YouTube video about a local resource, St. Elizabeth Healthcare.
What are some holistic lifestyle topics you’d like to see our group try?
Talk to you soon,